ANAMIKA

'(The Blog) With No Name', perhaps best described as a stream of notes and thoughts - 'remembered, recovered and (sometimes) invented'.

Monday, July 31, 2006

From 'Acacacacademics'...

Let me reproduce two letters: the first one a Prof.'s response to a Ph.D fellowship application and the second, the candidate's response to the first letter. My contributtion is limited to blocking out the names.

------
Dear Mr. xxxx,

This is with reference to your application for Ph.D fellowship
at University of xxxx. We went over your credentials and research proposal and are very happy to note that you are highly qualified and that your interests are in near-perfect sync with our own research program.

However, we regret to inform you it has been decided to award the fellowship to another candidate and so we are not in a position to offer you the fellowship.

We also would like to inform you that in accordance with the laws of xxxx (country), you are eligible to legally challenge this academic decision at a suitable court of law.

With best regards,
xxxx.

-------------------
-------------------
Dear Professor xxxx,

Thank you for your letter. After careful
consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept
your refusal to offer me a research fellowship in your
department.

I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an
unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied
and promising field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept
all refusals.

Despite xxxx University's outstanding qualifications and previous
experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does
not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will assume the
position of research fellow in your department this August.
I look forward to seeing you then.

Let me with you the very best of luck in rejecting the other candidate - and in dealing with any legal problems he might create - and other future applicants.

Sincerely,
xxxx
----------

7 Comments:

  • At 5:03 AM, Blogger Two Minds said…

    jis ko phursat hai jo thaame, deewano ka haath...

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hehe! Good one. I remember one guy who wrote to a prof in a US University about grad studies and all. The prof wrote back saying that this guy's grades were not very high. The guy wrote back, "Why do you think I am applying to your university?"

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger R.Nandakumar said…

    vandamme,

    looks like one should NOT count on anybody being blessed with enough fursat to spare for others! zamana kharab hai!

    vishnu,
    welcome back.

    you say "good ONE"; i ask "which one?" - there were two letters there :)

    perspective,

    thanks for visiting.

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was referring to the candidate's reply.

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Sunil said…

    heheh....thats just fantastic!

     
  • At 5:31 AM, Blogger R.Nandakumar said…

    thanks sunil.

    thanks again vishnu.

     
  • At 4:56 AM, Blogger Himanshu Bajaj said…

    Enjoyed reading this one.. Reject the rejection !! By the way may I know who was the unlucky Chap ??? I mean here Prof not the one seeking the fellowship ..
    Himanshu

     

Post a Comment

<< Home